Over 1,500 files pertaining to the assassination of John F. Kennedy that were previously classified were released to the public today.
Daily Mail reported that the files were finally released on Wednesday after months of stalling by President Joe Biden, who had promised to release them then backtracked. The documents include details about Lee Harvey Oswald’s meeting with a KGB agent at the Soviet Embassy in Mexico City just two months before the assassination in 1963.
“According to an intercepted phone call in Mexico City, Lee Oswald was at the Soviet Embassy there on 23 September 1963 and spoke with Consul Valeriy Vladimirovich,” read a memo written by CIA officer Tennent H. Bagley the day after the assassination. “Oswald called the Soviet Embassy on 1 October, identifying himself by name and speaking broken Russian, stating the above and asking the guard who answered the phone whether there was ‘anything concerning the telegram to Washington.”
The Kennedy family had been pushing for the files to be released, with the former president’s nephew Robert F. Kennedy Jr. lamenting earlier this year that some of the files would remain sealed until 2022, as they had been flagged for further review by national security agencies.
“It’s an outrage. It’s an outrage against American democracy. We’re not supposed to have secret governments within the government,” he said in October. “How the hell is it 58 years later, and what in the world could justify not releasing these documents?”
Former Rep. Patrick Kennedy, another nephew of JFK’s, also blasted the decision to hold some of the files back, saying,” ‘I think for the good of the country, everything has to be put out there, so there’s greater understanding of our history.”
Historians had expressed doubts that any bombshells would be included in the files that came out today, with some expressing suspicions that the government still isn’t telling the public everything.
“Because it has taken [the government] so long to get these records out, no matter what comes out, no one is going to believe that that’s it,” one official told CNN just before the documents came out.
Larry Schnapf, a lawyer and assassination researcher, has already announced plans to sue Biden to release the full documents.
“We will be seeking a court order instructing the President to release the remaining records or to disclose the specific identifiable harm posed by each document sought to be postponed and how such alleged harm outweighs the strong public interest in the release of these records — which were supposed to have been released by October 26, 2017,” Schnapf said on Tuesday.
You can read the documents for yourself here.