PALM BEACH, FL – Records are starting to circulate regarding the signed and currently sealed search warrant pertaining to the FBI raid on former President Donald Trump’s home of Mar-a-Lago in Florida.
The magistrate who found there was enough probable cause to sign said search warrant and allow the FBI to execute it was Bruce Reinhart with the Southern District of Florida. Rumors are circulating online that Reinhart is a “Trump-appointee,” which is not accurate. While he was appointed during Trump’s presidential term, magistrates in the State of Florida are appointed by judges, who have more authority than magistrates, for eight-year terms.
While Magistrate Bruce Reinhart doesn’t appear to be tied to Trump, he does have some interesting past affiliations under his belt. Namely, his previous association with Jeffrey Epstein as well as one of Epstein’s attorneys, Jack Goldberger.
A July, 2019 Miami Herald article outlined the connection between Reinhart and Epstein, specifically how Reinhart left his position as a federal prosecutor in order to represent “several of Epstein’s accused accomplices who would later, like Epstein, receive federal immunity for allegedly trafficking underage girls” in January of 2008.
Reinhart had previously opened a limited liability company which led to his own criminal defense practice. The address for that business was the same as Goldberger, in the exact same suite- 250 South Australian Ave., Suite 1400.
Epstein, who died by alleged suicide in his jail cell on August 10, 2019, was accused of attempting to bribe people who had “damaging information” about his sex trafficking practices and his victims as late as December 2018.
New York U.S. Attorney Geoffrey Berman said in July of 2019 that there had been transactions of “hundreds of thousands of dollars,” which proved Epstein was attempting to convince witnesses not to testify against him.
It was never explained why Epstein and many of his associates were given immunity for the federal charges initially levied against them concerning child sex abuse and sex trafficking. When Ghislaine Maxwell was sentenced to 20 years in prison for her role in the abuse, some had their hopes renewed that names would be dropped regarding who partook in the abuse of the children, but that never came to fruition, even despite her initially mentioning the Clinton Foundation having been involved.
The Miami Herald released a three-part series in November of 2018 regarding “how accused sex trafficker Jeffrey Epstein manipulated state and federal prosecutors to obtain a lenient plea bargain.” Just two days later, the Miami Herald said at the time, Epstein wired “$100,000 from a trust account he controlled to an individual who had been named as a possible co-conspirator in his 2008 Florida non-prosecution agreement.” The article continued, “Shortly thereafter, Epstein wired $250,000 from the same account to another person identified as a co-conspirator to Epstein’s sex trafficking operation, the court filing said. ‘Neither of these payments appears to be recurring or repeating during the approximately five years of bank records presently available to the government. This course of action, and in particular the timing, suggests the defendant was attempting to further influence co-conspirators who might provide information against him in light of the recently re-emerging allegations,’’ Berman wrote to Senior U.S. District Court Judge Richard M. Berman, no relation to the prosecutor.”
It was never released publicly who the were the recipients of those large sums of money.
Reinhart was named in a civil lawsuit in 2011, after which he denied any wrongdoing. Reinhart, according to another Miami Herald article at the time, “asserted, under the penalty of perjury, that he was not part of the team involved in Epstein’s investigation and therefore was not privy to any confidential information about the case.”
However, two years later, his previous supervisors with the US Attorney’s Office told another tale, saying that “while Bruce E. Reinhart was an assistant U.S. attorney, he learned confidential, non-public information about the Epstein matter.’’
“Even assuming I had participated ‘personally and substantially’ in the Epstein investigation [which I did not], the relevant Department of Justice regulations only prohibited me from communicating with, or appearing before, the United States on behalf of Mr. Epstein,’’ Reinhart said in an email at the time.
He also claimed at the time that while he did represent some of Epstein’s employees, he didn’t represent Epstein himself. He would not clarify, however, whether he was paid by Epstein himself for representing his employees and co-conspirators, despite documents saying that he was paid directly by Epstein.